DIY Tips – Where To Install Carbon Monoxide Detectors

DIY Tips - Where To Install Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a silent killer that can quickly become deadly. It’s an odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas that can be produced by a variety of sources, including gas-powered appliances, wood-burning stoves, and cars. When inhaled, it can cause dizziness, headaches, nausea, and even death.

As awareness of the dangers of CO has grown, more and more homes have installed carbon monoxide detectors. However, the placement of these detectors is critical to their effectiveness. Many people make the mistake of installing them near CO-emitting appliances, such as furnaces and water heaters. While it’s essential to have detectors near these appliances, it’s even more crucial to have them installed near bedrooms.

The reason for this is simple: the biggest risk from CO occurs when people are sleeping. When CO is present in the air, it can quickly displace oxygen, leading to unconsciousness and death. Because CO is odorless and tasteless, people may not be aware of its presence until it’s too late.

By installing carbon monoxide detectors near bedrooms, you can ensure that you and your family are protected while you sleep. If the detector goes off, you’ll be alerted to the presence of CO in the air, giving you time to evacuate the house and call for help.

It’s important to note that carbon monoxide detectors should be installed on each level of your home, including the basement. They should also be placed away from windows and doors, where they may not be able to detect CO. It’s also a good idea to test your detectors regularly and replace the batteries at least once a year.

In summary, while it’s essential to have carbon monoxide detectors installed near CO-emitting appliances, it’s even more critical to have them placed near bedrooms. This will ensure that you and your family are protected from the dangers of CO while you sleep, which is when the risk is highest.

Are You In Need of Carbon Monoxide Detectors In Your Home?
Contact Us!